"In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks."
John Muir

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Dawson Creek--Mile Zero


At the end of day 4 we drove into Dawson Creek.
We'd already gone 2,500 miles but now were at Mile Zero.
Although the sign says "Where the Adventure Begins", I must say that ours
had begun 4 days ago.



Dawson Creek is a charming town and we especially liked the life-sized murals
painted on the sides and backs of buildings.
This stable specialized in runaway horses and reckless drivers but this evening a bull moose stood in the doorway waiting for a friendly scratch.


And Shoeless Joe is drooling over the goodies in the window, hoping the door will open soon. He doesn't realize the door is not real. And neither is the window...poor little dog.


This picture represents the town in 1944 when the highway was completed.
Look at how carefully the artist had even included the pole and cable into the drawing.


This well-known marker sits in the center of town.
The late evening sunset put some cool shading into the colors.
And Shoeless is pointing the way NORTH.
1,523 miles left to go.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I remember this town like it was yesterday! Great pictures!
    Hill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of Shoeless looking in the window. Must be were he learned the skills for when he is at my house:-) Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon, I just started working on a new web site for those of us who have traveled the Alaska Hwy. My wife and I have driven it 7 times but most of the pictures we took were back in the days of slides. Ya, what are those? I came across your site and see you have lots of pictures. The site I'm working on will allow people to post pictures and tell their stories about traveling the hwy. Would you be willing to post a few pictures and/or tell a story? Would you allow me to use some of your pictures? I would be happy to link them back to your site. We spent Sept in AK again this year with time in Fairbanks. We still have property up there as well. You can contact me at sheldon.rhodes@gmail.com Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete