"In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks."
John Muir

Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Midnight Sun

This is the second year I have been able to celebrate the Summer Solstice in Fairbanks-the day the sun never sets. In reality Mr Sun dips for a brief few minutes behind the horizon, but the sky never darkens. Rather a long, gentle sunset blends into sunrise. And tons of celebratory events go on all weekend. A midnight baseball game is a traditional event plus a street fair with bands, dancers, vendors, food, etc.


Another tradition is the Midnight Sun Run--a 10K race. I have spent almost 20 years cheering on runners--first Hillary in her cross-country and track events then Jack in his 5K races and Marathons. But this time it was my turn to be cheered (cheree??). Kathleen, 2 other traveling nurses from work and I decided to walk the race, joining 3,825 others. I have to admit that it was a long race for a first-timer. My short legs never slacked the pace, though, and I finished in 1 hr 43 mins (45 out of 65 in my age group).
The streets and neighborhoods were lined with cheering people, live music, parties, and water bearers. It was tons of fun. Lots of the "racers" were dressed in costumes and we saw walking iphones, Superman and his family, Ninja Turtles, Martha Washington and my favorite-- 2 marching Storm Troopers with helmets and guns at the ready.

Here we are at the end of the race.


And here is the blue sky after the race.


This is peaceful Creamer's Field, an old dairy turned into acres of bird sanctuary. It's famous for the Sandhill Cranes and Canada geese that gather here in late summer while migrating south (some to Texas, of course). My apartment complex borders this farm and I have walking trails right out my door. That's a super blessing!
This sky picture was taken after the race and is either the sunset or sunrise, hard to know when one turns into the other.


And this is the sky at 1:30 AM from my deck. No kidding! This night is so stimulating that I couldn't sleep. Sorta like Christmas Eve, another sleepless night for me. Sometimes life is just too exciting for sleep, don't you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment