"In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks."
John Muir

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Blue Skies Smiling at Me

I was driving home rather late the last night.
It was 10:30 PM
I paused to recognize how pretty the sky was at that hour.
Still very blue and light.
I pulled off the road and grabbed the camera.

 For the sun to change from being out almost 24 hours/day in June
to almost not at all in December, 
the daytime changes have to be rather remarkable.


 The shadows are definitely longer at that late hour,
but the sun still sits fairly high as it travels across the evening sky.


 There is actually dark at some point,
but I am sleeping then.
I've yet to see the moon.
I've yet to turn on my headlights.
Or a household lamp.
When I awaken at 5 AM the sky is as bright blue 
as it was when I went to sleep.

 I read in the local paper that we lost 7 minutes of daylight yesterday.
In one day!
The length of day was listed as 18 hours, 2 minutes, 2 seconds.
Of course twilight brightens the sky for several hours besides,
both before sunrise and after sunset.. 


I am reminded of a Bible verse where a prophet of old describes the end of the 
world as we know it.  A time when Christ will reign and 
 evil and darkness will be no longer.  
"But it shall be one day which shall be known to the LORD, not day, nor night:
but it shall come to pass, that at evening time it shall be light."
Zechariah 14:7

These long, wonderful summer Alaskan days seem a taste of that future time.








No comments:

Post a Comment