"In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks."
John Muir

Monday, July 26, 2010

Sleeping under a Midnight Sun

Every night we got our assigned exercise (Car Rule #3), usually a walk or swim. In our room, Hillary wrote down the "Top Ten List" of memories for that day. Then she hit the pillow and BAM! She was sound asleep.
I, on the other hand, took a shower, wrote details of the day in my journal, reflected on the miles we had traveled, looked at our Travel Planner book a while and prayed for the day ahead, often with a cup of tea.

Sometimes I spent time just gazing out the window, a habit I have had since childhood. This calming scene was the near midnight sunset seen from our room in Whitehorse.


And the same view a little later as I continued to gaze. Sunsets and the following twilights are very lingering, drawn-out affairs in the north. The complete opposite of sunsets at the equator. I could compare our bedtime routines to the different sunsets: Hillary is the equatorial and I'm the northern sunset.


Do you wonder what our dreaming girl sees as she sleeps? During these driving days, I imagine her dreams were rather like this endless road heading toward yet another mountain!

No comments:

Post a Comment