"In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks."
John Muir

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Just an Illusion

As is the pattern here in the north, 
seasons change with dramatic speed.



Under the still green canopy of early August,
the high bush cranberry leaves turn  red.
Over night, it seems.



Berries appear and draw out attention to the edges of the roads.


From one day to the next, the green disappears at 
alarming speed.


The nighttime temperatures have suddenly dropped, too.
Below the freezing mark for many days now.



That means the tender parts of the garden are gone.
The mornings chilly, I've had to scrape a layer of frozen frost
off the windshield of the car.
(Dare I call that "ice"??)



But the warmth of the golds and yellows glow around us.
The leaves give the illusion of warmth much as a glowing fire would.
Especially bright sunny days-it's as if the merciful sun himself
is sending down rays of heat to each individual leaf.


 But it's just an illusion.
Even though the views out the windows sparkle with rich
tones of yellows and golds, I need to put on a jacket before I head out
to walk in their splendor.
And I'll soon need to add mittens, I know.

The only glow that really warms me is the one
that emanates from the glass door of the wood stove.
I'm thankful for that fire.




No comments:

Post a Comment