"In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks."
John Muir

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Winter solstice (myths debunked)


Today is Winter Solstice.
The shortest day of the year.


I drove from the hills into town-sounds like "Little House on the Prairie", doesn't it?
The sky looked like this at 11:15 AM.


And it got a little brighter as I turned out of the hills that were hiding the sunrise.


I paused to take this picture as I thought that it would be the brightest part
of the sunrise. After all, the sun never really set on Summer Solstice and I
assumed it would never make it over the horizon this day.


But then I was very surprised to actually see Mr Sun in all his beauty!
He stayed out for couple of hours even. It was a pretty day.
The sunset didn't look any different than this sunrise. Sort of blended one into the other.
And the best part of all--tomorrow the days begin to get longer--(by 6 minutes or so).
In 6 months the longest day (with all sunlight) will once again return. Cycles of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment