"In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks."
John Muir

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

View from my window

Kathleen and Josh have a house designed with large and wonderful windows in every room.


This is one of the windows in the guest room, where I sleep.
Here is how it looked during the summer months.
These Roman shades are room-
darkening, but I preferred to sleep
with the daylight streaming in all night. (Sounds like an oxymoron.)


This is the view from the same window now.
Angled a bit lower, you can see the clothesline covered with snow.
Too cold to hang baby clothes on it these days.


This is the view from the front windows of the house. In the distance, on top
of that hill, is a clearing for the buried oil pipeline. It is underground as much as
possible, but must be elevated in areas of perma-frost, only a couple of miles from this site.


Same view, wintertime. The garden lies bare but the potential for bushels of fresh
produce lies sleeping under the snow and frozen earth. My faithful old Chevy sits parked, bitter cold and covered with snow, but continues to start first time, every time.
For this I am very grateful.


And the other windows offer lovely views, as well. Doesn't this scene just make your heart beat a little slower and your breathing even out?


I've always been a day dreamer, pausing and gazing out windows.
It is one of my favorite things to do. So I appreciate pretty, peaceful vistas, preferably ones
that don't involve people. Sounds antisocial, doesn't it?

Well, look here! A precious treasure lies on this windowsill.
My daydreaming will end and my arms will fill with this sweet, sleeping baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment