"In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks."
John Muir

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sunsets and rainbows


I have to begin by saying how happy I am about sharing pictures on this blog. I really have no idea who is even looking at the stuff I write about, but it feels so good to share things I find fascinating. For many years my kids have laughed at my "national geographic" pictures and videos of birds, skies, trees... but fear not, dear friends, I did not get too discouraged by their mocking. So here I am, sharing the beautiful, the wonderful, the comical and the breathtaking.
Thank you, cyberspace friends, for not complaining about my choice of subjects. And especially thank you who even write a comment! You make my heart sing!

*********************

It is my habit to pause and pull the car over to admire a wonderful sky. In the silence of the moment, while gazing, I praise God for the colors and shades as the sun rises or sets before me. Honestly, it is almost always a sunset since I'm not a morning person by choice.


This sunset was captured on our way to Anchorage as the train passed by Turnagin Arm and Cook Inlet. (OK-get out the old geography books or click on Google to see where we were.)


Think I already showed one like this but this is the 1 am (or so) sunset blending into sunrise on the longest day of the year, the Summer Solstice.


Midnight from my apt deck on Solstice weekend. No kidding.



I've seen many rainbows in the weeks I've been here. Plenty of times the very ends (or beginnings) are visible. But I've yet to find that pot of gold, though I keep searching. I do believe there was a wee leprechaun dancing down where the rainbow touched the river, though.



Maybe the reason there are so many rainbows is because the daylight hours linger for so long during the summer months and Mr. Sun takes hours to finally slip below the horizon.


I'm sorry that this rainbow didn't really show up on camera as well as it did from my deck. The sky was golden. It was actually a DOUBLE bow. (If you look very, very closely you can see it.)
Double rainbows thrill my son-in-law Drew, I know for a fact.


Here's just a little attempt at creativity which is quite easy with this Mac.
(Thanks again, Jack.)
Note the pink glow on the snowcapped mountains. That's called "alpenglow" around here.


The wideness of the arcs are graceful across a cloudy sky, don't you agree?
"Roy-gee-biv"--Drew taught me that.


This view is off my deck last evening. These are Canada geese. More about them next time. I'll bet you can hardly wait for more national geographic blog posts, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment