"In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks."
John Muir

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Missing My Soft, Warm Alarm Clock

Being far away from home all summer is exciting and I love all it holds for me.
But sometimes I get blue missing special people still in Texas.
One of these is the four-footed kind.  
My great dog Shoeless Joe.
I'm pretty sure he misses me, too, but then he IS a spaniel
and those sad, droopy eyes are part of his happy look, as well.

Tonight I'm thinking of a certain habit of his.
One that only occurs when I am home.
His "dad" never lets him on the bed and he never even tries.
He spends his night sleeping on his own bed next to ours.
Just like this:


 But every morning, between 5:30 and 6:00 AM,
he very silently gets up from his bed,
puts his nose near mine,
then slowly and quietly crawls up on the bed.
He settles in down at the very foot, lies on top of my feet, 
and rests his head on the comforter.
If I should wake, which often I don't, I hear a long, happy sigh.



The morning light changes from season to season and month to month,
but the time in the morning is always the same.
I don't know how he knows.
And he never disturbs me until I am ready to wake up.
Then he crawls up alongside of me and waits for his morning rubdown.
We both love that!

Since I am gone for so many months, he will remain all night
on his mat on the floor.
But the very first night I am back in Texas, he will slip
right back into this habit as if I'd never been gone.
My feet sometimes get cold in bed in Alaska.
I miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment