"In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks."
John Muir

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Security-more than turning the key

Security in other countries involves far more than locking the door and walking away.
I saw this first in Ecuador--the high walls with broken glass shards and barbed wire cemented into the top of these walls. Heavy, locked doors.
Many of Haiti's homes had strong and secure walls and gates-- until the earthquake.



Now one sees desperate methods attempting to rebuild a wall, however temporarily.
Sometimes the home behind that security wall isn't worth protecting anymore.


Police and peacekeepers from other countries are commonly seen.
We noted uniforms from Brazil and Canada.
Trucks marked UN held armed peacekeepers in full armor such as these below.
Reminded me of Star Wars. Andre said there is rarely a dispute and their presence alone is effective and keeping crime and looting at bay.
They certainly impressed me with that battle gear on and weapons.
I wouldn't think of messing with them!


Armed security men are evident just about everywhere. It is so strange for this American, who lives with such freedoms and safety, to see these guns strapped casually to so many men.
This particular guard was inside the gate that protected the church grounds with the giant tent.


And this great fellow is the personal guard for the house we stayed in.
He helped us load the truck with our medical gear, gave us ladies a hand as we climbed in and out the back of the truck and made sure the gate remained closed. We were thankful to have him and he was always pleasant and professional, taking his job most seriously.
People with problems come to the house day and night and it was comforting to have someone screening this continual stream of needy visitors.


I think I'm having too much fun, tucked between 2 armed men!
They were posted outside the cafeteria restaurant we visited after church.
Both had very stern expressions and I was still shocked at the big guns they held--this was my first day in Haiti, after all. I had much to learn in a few days...
Sylvie passed my request for a picture on to them, in French of course, and they seemed to disapprove at first. I don't know what she said, but they changed their minds and made a spot for this short, white lady to step in. The tall man then put out his arm for me to hold. I had no idea he was grinning until I saw the picture myself. Looks a lot less threatening with that smile. Guns still make me very nervous, however.
I'll bet he went home with a story for his family about the crazy white lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment