"In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks."
John Muir

Monday, April 11, 2011

Big Lessons from the Smallest of Friends


The past few days have been super windy as weather fronts move in and out. I'm not complaining because these breezes make the shade most pleasant and comfortable even though the temps have hit 90! And besides, I enjoy the constant tinkle of the wind chimes.

This same breeze keeps blowing our colorful tablecloth into a bunch and I repeatedly smooth it out to no avail. Even got these little weights that look like lemons but the Texas wind is way more powerful than these lemons and flips them up and about like feathers.

Today movement caught my eye and I discovered that an active, wee hummingbird (now that is redundant as these little creatures are ALWAYS active and wee...) was busily darting from flower to flower painted on the wadded up tablecloth. And not just anywhere, but heading specifically to the dark centers of each one in turn. Plastic as it is, he left disappointed.
But not I--I grinned for the longest time at this persistent little guy.
(I tried to get a picture of him, but he was way to quick for me.)

A metaphor for life: Although we may devote lots of genuine effort into something that seems right, the outcome may not be what we hoped for and in the end we've just wasted our time and energy.
************************
PS-- I removed the bunchy cloth today and will put it back on a calmer day. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment