"In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks."
John Muir

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Value of Antiques

Antiques have value, not just monetarily, but by reminding us of the past.
A time when they were "in vogue" and necessary for life.
A time past.

There was a time when the only way to illuminate a space was by lighting a candle.
Candlesticks were often forged to be not just useful, but lovely.


Then electricity was discovered and glass insulators protected the wires
that began to dangle from wooden poles.
(I personally love these things! They come in various shapes and colors.)



Beautiful china adorned tables groaning with luscious food.
Passed from generation to generation, these are a treasure
when placed on our table during special holidays and celebrations.


And finally, a moment of silence for this antique.
Yes Drew, I am ready to relinquish my "little pink phone".
Its sole purpose? Conversation--no internet, no texting, no camera.
Imagine that!?
It has served me well for many years but, alas, the battery is weak
and the charging cord has a short.
So, with great reluctance, I am sending it off to the recycling center.
I suppose I could polish it up and set it in the china cabinet next to the cut glass pitcher
that came over on the Mayflower (or something like that).
I don't have to decide its fate just yet.
For today, I can still hold it, raise the wobbly antenna and feel its weight in my hands
and sigh, my heart full of memories of my little pink friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment